Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Little Something Different: Unboxing the Samsung Chromebook

I wrote about how much I wanted the Samsung Chromebook in a Wishlist Wednesday post back at the beginning of July. I started saving, and now I own it! I thought it might be fun to do an unboxing.

Obviously this isn't a book, and it isn't a beauty product, but it is a new tool I'm using for blogging. I had a little Acer Netbook which was okay, but the size was slightly limiting. The screen on this chromebook is bigger, and the battery life is also way longer, which means I don't need to be tethered to my charger when I'm writing a 3+ hour post (like my Allure Fall Beauty Box blog from Tuesday of this week- that took me right around 4 1/2 hours or more, but it was worth it!).

On to the unboxing!!

 photo chromebook_zps88d04b56.jpg

My chromebook came in a box that looks like this. I bought mine from Best Buy, mostly because I wanted it right then, and amazon no longer had it on sale.

 photo chromebook2_zps2d9623d8.jpg

When you open the box, you see the booklets (user manual, warranty info, etc) and the actual chromebook, which is inside a sleeve.

 photo chromebook3_zps876b9340.jpg

The chromebook also includes a power cord for charging. The booklet says you can run it right out of the box, but I went ahead and hooked it up to charge as well.

 photo chromebook6_zps683eabf5.jpg

These are the booklets that are included.

 photo chromebook8_zps143e8444.jpg

I took the chromebook out of the sleeve, and it looks like this. It is very sleek and thin. It's practically weightless. I've read reviews of people saying it seems flimsy, but to me it seems very sturdy- I have it on my lap right now and I don't feel like it's going to break or anything from pressing down on it.

I booted her up- and there was practically no sound. No fan, no noise, nothing.

 photo chromebook9_zps25eb3284.jpg

This is what the start up screen looks like. I would say this screen was up for maybe a few seconds, before prompting me to log in with my google account. This is something you need to know if you are interested in a chromebook- you have to have a google account.

And for comparisons sake, this is my netbook next to my chromebook.

 photo chromebook10vsacernetbook_zpsf7151ecc.jpg

So far I've been very impressed with the chromebook- As of this post, I've had it for a few days, and have basically attempted to do everything I do on my netbook. So far, the only thing I haven't been able to get this chromebook to do is load pictures from my camera to it. This computer doesn't install anything like drivers, so it's possible I won't be able to do that. So I am going to keep my netbook for that purpose. (I've had the netbook since 2009.) I can just log into my google account, put the pictures in Google Drive, and then they automatically show up on my chromebook (100gb of Google Drive is including for free for two years with purchase of the chromebook). From there, I can edit them (basic editing, like cropping- but you can download different picture editing apps to do additional editing if need be), and upload them to my photobucket.

This system is entirely run off of chrome, so it can only do basic functioning connected to application and the internet.

The chromebook itself doesn't get hot at all- as I said above, I have it on my lap, and I am perfectly comfortable. I'm not worried about burning my legs or anything like that. It feels like nothing is even there. It also charges quickly- I got a full charge from about 10% battery life in about an hour. And one charge can last me anywhere between five and seven hours, depending on what I am using this for- I watched four full episodes of Orange Is The New Black from Netflix, and it dropped me from a 95% charge down to about 35%, which is great. Especially considering I could barely watch one full episode of a half hour show on my netbook, and that's if it decided to let me watch video (when it was brand new I could watch video no problem, but the battery still only would like me watch two - three episodes of a show before dying).

 photo chromebook5gollacase_zpse60f9825.jpg

I also purchased this case from Best Buy. It's actually for a 14" MacBook, not an 11.6" Chromebook, but I like that there is plenty of room for the chromebook, the charger, and my USB mouse. I could probably also fit my netbook in there if I really wanted to! And the front pouch is perfect for a notebook- I have two little ones that I'm using for blogging and reviews, and they fit in there securely and with plenty of room remaining.

If you're looking for a laptop to do basic internet functions, this is perfect! It was $249.99 (plus tax), and the case was $29.99 (though on the Best Buy website it says $39.99 now, I think I got it on sale).


If you have any questions about the system itself, please feel free to leave questions in the comments and I will answer to the best of my ability.


FTC:  I purchased the chromebook and case with my own money. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I am in no way affiliated with Samsung, Google, or Best Buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment