Saturday, February 7, 2015

Book Review: The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy #1 by Marie Rutkoski)

 photo TheWinnersCurse_MarieRutkoski_zps4wawiyzz.jpg 

Description from Goodreads
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

Initial Thoughts

Another series dystopian novel? Sign me up! I think the premise of this sounds interesting, and not quite like anything I've seen lately. I wonder where this is going- she bought him, but the price she paid is more than she ever could have imagined? Hmmmmm.

My Review

I was into this book almost right away. I did guess what Arin was up to pretty early on, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story all the same. I liked the world they seemed to set up, and I enjoyed the budding romance between the two main characters.
With that said, though, at times it was a little exhausting. And I don't see, after reading the ending, how they might end up back together (assuming that's the end goal and the second book doesn't bring in a love triangle.)

I thought Kestrel was a fairly strong female character. I feel like she is someone that can carry a trilogy easily, and I actually want to read more about her journey. I also feel like she's a female character that other girls would look up to- she is strong-willed and doesn't give in easily.


Overall, I just really enjoyed this- it was entertaining, and I want to keep reading the trilogy.

I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.



Disclosure: I borrowed this book from my local library. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment